Re: Data Warehouse Suggestions

From: jaromir nemec <jaromir_at_db-nemec.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 14:24:58 +0200

Hi,

> The best books on the subject are The Datawarehouse Toolkit by Ralph
> Kimball
> and Building the Datawarehouse by Bill Inmon.

> But my mentor insisted that everything is either a measured fact or a
> dimensional
> attribute.

Good point, the only question left is whether the *OR* between fact and dimension is an excusive or a non exclusive one. IMO this is in a nutshell the difference between Kimball (promoter of exclusive view) and Inmon (a customer attribute is a typical dimension in product selling context but can be also a measure e.g. in a customer scoring context).

Regards

Jaromir D.B. Nemec

http://www.db-nemec.com