"Oracle's [multi-core] pricing ...simple and flexible"

From: Paul Baumgartel <paul.baumgartel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 15:38:41 -0400

The way I figured it was wrong....

"Now, while executives say that a new policy will account for each processor on multicore chips as a fraction -- 0.75 -- of a processor, there is a hitch.

"The new pricing will round up to the nearest whole number when the total number of processors housed on multicore chips totals between integers. Thus, a license for a two-core processor would charge for 0.75 x 2, which is 1.5 processors. In this instance, the enterprise's license would charge for the next highest integer, which is 2."

The way I figured it (based on 64-bit dual-core Opteron, which is supposed to give 50% better performance than single-core), the license cost is now commensurate with performance.

1 dual-core CPU = 1.5 CPU performance

1 dual-core CPU = 1.5 CPU license cost (2 x .75 CPU)

--
Paul Baumgartel
paul.baumgartel_at_aya.yale.edu

-- Paul Baumgartel paul.baumgartel_at_aya.yale.edu -- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l