RE: Oracle Free Monitoring link

From: Marquez, Chris <cmarquez_at_collegeboard.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:56:46 -0400

Yeah I would not consider Quest Spotlight a "monitoring" tool. Meaning you can't go home and have Spotlight warn/alert you about free space...or locks. It is for "active monitoring"...active diagnostics much in the way a DBA would actively (not constantly) query v$session, etc. It puts "face" on the Oracle database.
Spotlight does a great job of pointing you in the right direction when you already know *something* is wrong...not telling you something is wrong ahead of time. Spotlight is to much of a client PC hog to run it for more than several databases for a log time.

Regarding "face"...the GUI itself. I have not seen the 10g "Dashboard", but I have a hard time, based on past experience believing that OEM has a better, more intuitive, and compete GUI than OEM. Am I wrong?...is OEM 10g GUI that good...that changed. I did hear the Oracle hired away many Quest Developers?

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org]On Behalf Of Jesse, Rich Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 12:20 PM
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

Unreliable, unstable, resource intensive, very difficult to install and maintain (OEM 10g Grid Control), lesser level of support via MetaLink (my observation)...

Need I go on as to why not OEM?

I do use Spotlight occasionally and I like it, but I don't think it's necessarily a good tool to have running all the time, depending on your DBs. There's also a free version of the web-based Big Brother (now also owned by Quest) available at http://bb4.org , but I haven't used it in a while.

And if I ever get back to writing my Perl/tk Oracle monitor, now defunct for over a year, there'll be another... ;)

Rich