Re: Database Control on AIX 5L Requires xServer in EM 10g

From: Peter Sylvester <peters_at_mitre.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 19:05:04 -0400

I can't help you with AIX, (or db control for that matter) but I ran into this same issue with some 9ias work a while back. The solution was to get a copy of "xvfb" (X Windows Virtual Frame Buffer). Its essentially an X server that does not need a physical display. Some java software that does graphics manipulations needs an X display, even if not actually drawn there.

Oracle had some solaris binaries posted here, for this very reason: http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/ias/9ias_utilities.html#xvfb

Man page is here:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/ias/9ias_utilities.html#xvfb

I don't have an example handy, but you can get it to run as a given DISPLAY like ":1", and then set your DISPLAY enviroment to point to that. Make it part of the system startup and you don't need to be logged in or anything.

--Peter

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Thu Jul 14 2005 - 18:08:58 CDT