Re: Moving RMAN Disk Backup Files

From: Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:24:23 -0400

On 7/14/05, Stahlke, Mark <mstahlke_at_denvernewspaperagency.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> This question pertains to Oracle 9.2.0.4 on Winblows.
>
> Is there a way to convince RMAN to use backup files from a location other
> than where they were created?
>
> I was duplicating a database from an old RMAN backup on a Windows system
> that has an entirely different disk configuration than the server it
> normally runs on. The RMAN backups are written to d:\oracle\backups. When I
> tried to restore the database on the new box, RMAN insisted on looking for
> the backup files in d:\oracle\backups. Unfortunately, the d: drive on the
> new machine is a CDROM. Try as I might, I couldn't find a way to make RMAN
> look somewhere else for the backup files. Eventually I got around the
> problem by disabling the CDROM and mapping a network drive as d: to the c:
> drive. This worked but it seems like a Mickey Mouse solution.

Mark,

As far back as I can recall, I've used the following letters in the win32 environ:

V: dvd
X: cdrom (read only)
W: cd-rw (it can write)
Y: jaz drive (obsolete)
Z: zip drive (obsolete)

The first thing I do after installing a win32 OS is to rename that D: removable media drive to something listed above and then set ORACLE_BASE to D:\oracle. this has the most pleasureable side effect of putting the inv_loc as D:\oracle\Inventory.

this has little to do with your current problem, but I felt compelled to mention it anyways.

Paul