Re: Replication technology suggestion

From: david wendelken <davewendelken_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:20:33 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

>1. Replicate data from each databases to a single central secondary
>site. It will be many to one replication meaning many databases will
>be sending the data to a single database. This secondary site, call it
>as backup site is used as DR solution.

You envision a one-way replication?

Example: deployment machines in these cities:

Alexandria --> Replicates to Charlotte.

                       Boston never receives a copy of the Alexandria changes.
Boston       --> Replicates to Charlotte.
                      Alexandria never receives a copy of the Boston Changes
Charlotte    --> Receives changes from Alexandria, Boston and Charlotte.
                       Tells no one about changes.

If Charlotte goes down, changes originating in Charlotte are unavailable.

Is that what you envision happening?
If not, please explain using this simple example set up.

>In case any primary database is down we would like to use the
>secondary database to become primary. We are not planning 24 by 7
>solution. But in case of long outage we would like to serve from
>secondary site if possible.

Could synonyms and database links do the trick for this? Any gotchas?