RE: RMAN DB recover re-applying archive log *URGENT*

From: Hallas, John, Tech Dev <John.Hallas_at_gb.vodafone.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 16:18:05 +0100

Thank you for coming back Russell, and well done for admitting you have something to learn.

I was wondering where my reply had disappeared to and realised that I had only sent it to you rather than copy to the list.

Feel free to ask advice again. I am sure there will always be somebody around to assist

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of rjsearle_at_gmail.com Sent: 13 July 2005 16:04
To: Vitalis Jerome
Cc: Oracle-L (E-mail)
Subject: Re: RMAN DB recover re-applying archive log *URGENT*

Thanks all for your help. Things got ugly over the last 24 hours so we got some external assistance and things look like they are on track. Sorry I didn't respond to yor questions.

Turns out we made a mess of the recover, (due to our own ignorance) and had to go back to tape. We are doing so with the support of a more experienced DBA.

So again, thanks for your interest. Your responses were helpful as we realised how little we understood RMAN.

I'll go back to lurking and learning for a while

Russell

On 7/13/05, Vitalis Jerome <vitalisman_at_gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Russell,

What version?

Why did you restore the catalog? With the current version of the catalog, RMAN 9i would have known it couldn't use the latest backup of your db and it would have restored & recovered it by itself. The same thing with the current version of the control file. Can you restore the latest version of the catalog and/or the latest version of the control file?

Jerome