RE: rman help

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 09:15:37 -0700

Joe, I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're asking either - if you want to use rman w/o a recovery catalog, you just run it like this:

rman target user/pwd (omitting the rcvcat/catalog connect string)

This will automatically use your controlfile as the repository. After that, the use is pretty much the same as if you were using a recovery catalog - you still use the same backup, restore, run, etc. commands.

As far as a tutorial, you could probably find one in Oracle's Online Library (have to pay for subscription), or there might be something available in the Oracle By Example series. I've found the standard online documentation to be sufficient:

Here is the section on "Connecting w/o a recovery catalog": http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96566/rcmcnctg.htm#444266

And here is the Quick Start section that covers basics of common commands, how to decide whether or not to use a recovery catalog, methods of authentication, etc: http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96566/rcmquick.htm#424412

Regards,
Brandon