RE: High Availability -- True 7x24x365

From: Kirtikumar Deshpande <kedeshpande_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 19:04:48 -0700 (PDT)

We have sort-of similar situation...
Still running a critical application in 7.3.4.3 on HP. It works, no bugs, no upgrades, no major enhancements from end-user community ( it may get us in trouble, should something happen to the database). Scheduled for retirement sometimes next year when they roll out a replacement.
One other major application still runs well in 8.1.7.4. DBAs supporting those databases are now attending Oracle9i NF for DBAs Training Class from OU. Boss is complaining 'cause that course is not offered frequently any more and locally :)

If it ain't broke.... :)

Cheers!
- Kirti

> Which reminds me of the DBA I talked to during the RMOUG training days
> in February.
>
> He told me they would upgrade from 7.3.4 to 8.1.7.4 somewhere in March
> this year. They always upgrade to the latest version of a major release
> after Oracle desupported it. The code will be stable by then, nobody
> fiddling around with it, almost every issue is known and resolved or a
> workaround is available.
>
> Man, these guys got a life! No nighly patches, weekend upgrades,
> whatever. When the final desupport date of 9.2.0.x is revealed, they
> have to wake up and prepare for the next upgrade.
>
> I know of other sites who do the same, but based on ignorant
> cost-cutting in stead of wisdom.
>

> Best regards,
>
> Carel-Jan Engel
>
> ===
> If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok)
> ===

< snip>

Sell on Yahoo! Auctions – no fees. Bid on great items. http://auctions.yahoo.com/