RE: SQl Help - use of special characters in a script when sending a password

From: <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 13:23:53 -0700

Oops, I forgot to put the "\" in the password. It should have been

set escape on
connect username/Blob21\&vb02

Regards,
Brandon

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org]On Behalf Of Henslee, Jeff Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2005 1:16 PM
To: Oracle-L_at_freelists.org
Subject: SQl Help - use of special characters in a script when sending a password

Apologies for the simple question - but I'm having a total brain fart.

Oracle 8.1.74 and Solaris 8
I have a file which I use in scripts to connect as a certain user. They are set to be available to only the oracle user and members of the dba group.

basically, they are hidden files and called:

        .<username>.login.sql
and contain:

        connect username/password

when I execute sqlplus I use:
$ sqlplus -s /nolog @.<username>login.sql

My problem is that I have a user password that contains a '&' character.

(Example:)
connect username/Blob21&vb02

How can I code in the '&' character into my script and NOT have sqlplus think it is a variable? Anybody ever run into this?

I know that in SQL you can use something like:

select field1, field2
from foo
where code like '%\_%' escape '\'

How can I do it in a password (file) in my example?

Please advise.

Many Thanks!

Jeffrey C. Henslee
mailto:jhenslee_at_wausauwindow.com