Re: VPD vs multiple schems vs multiple instance

From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 12:48:35 -0500

Dick

Well, I think we at least agree that this is a critical decision, and best approached carefully. Often you are stuck with the consequences of this decision for years. The best answer may depend on your organization and the application.

    Oh, I forgot another critical issue. If your manager doesn't understand the work of a DBA, he/she may start looking at the ratio of instances per DBA. We all know that is bogus, but sometimes that is important to the person who controls your paycheck and career. Welcome to Dilbert's world. Before that, I used to try to put several applications/user groups into a single instance. After that, separate instances started looking more attractive. ;-)

Dennis