Re: High Availability -- True 7x24x365

From: Tanel Põder <tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 16:04:21 +0100

Exactly, you can't make an off-the shelf application really highly available just by using some underlying technology, RAID, clustering, RAC, DataGuard or whatever. Your application has to be planned, designed and built from start with high availability in mind...

If you want 100% availability, hire 3 persons for every task, build three different systems to do the same thing, which are based on different RDBMSes, OSes and hardware, located in completely separated environments and let those redundant employees do the same tasks with their systems all the time ;)

Of course 100% availability can never be guaranteed and this "solution" above introduces human error risk and is extremely costly - and whenever one system is taken down for maintenance, you got to keep some kind of log of operations piling up, to get your system back in sync afterwards again :)

Tanel.