JDBC Realm

From: LeRoy Kemnitz <lkemnitz_at_uwsa.edu>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 08:09:14 -0500

All-

I am trying to figure how the JDBC Realm works in Tomcat and if Oracle App Server does something similar. I want to use Tomcat first to understand the authentication process and then move to the Oracle App Server.

Correct me if I am wrong, how I understand it the JDBC Realm is just an environment where the usernames, passwords, and roles are kept in tables in the database that can 'home-grown'. In the App Server, the OID holds the usernames and passwords encrypted. The App Server can use the SSL to secure connections to connect as well. But how does the web browser session find out about the roles that the user has? I am new to the Java world so forgive me if this is way off base.

LeRoy