Re: VPD vs multiple schems vs multiple instance

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 08:14:39 +0800

Quoting Sandeep Dubey <dubey.sandeep_at_gmail.com>:
> 1. Create different schemas for different clients.
> 2. Create different instances for each clients.
> 3. Create VPD aka RLS in one single instance and single schema.
>
> Expected database size over 2 years for each client will be 400 GB,
> with largest table size reaching up to 40 to 60 million rows. We will
> be using xmltype in 3-4 tables.
>
> Has anyone gone through such scenario and can tell their reason for
> selecting their option?

More or less same sizes here. We use multiple schemas, each application (global area) using its own. There is a global schema visible to everything else where we keep company-wide info (lookup tables, config tables, that sort of stuff). Recently we had to separate one of the areas into its own box: too much load on the original system. Piece of cake: export schema, import into new db, create MVs for the global schema tables, fix up grants and synonyms and away it went, purring like a contented cat.
Highly recommended.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
from gorgeous Spring in Sydney