RE: datafile permissions

From: Reidy, Ron <Ron.Reidy_at_arraybiopharma.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 05:46:36 -0600

So, to test it out, change the C program to perform more writes. Run it in the debugger and during the writes, chmod 000. What happens?

  From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Sinardy   Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 9:31 PM
  To: raja4list_at_yahoo.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org   Subject: Re: datafile permissions

  If someone is writing to the file then you revoke the access using OS command which is it can be done with Unix I believe your manager forsee this will corrupt the datafile.

  Anyway, if I am asked to perform such harderning change, I will request for down time. For may be 1 hour, stop applications, shutdown, chmod, startup, switch log file, test, star application. not only datafile offline.

  PS: I know that 640 should be ok but chmod during online is quite a risky task.

  Regards,
  Sinardy

    Hi All,

    Sun OS 2.9
    oracle 9i

    In what state the datafiles should be when i want to change the OS file permissions     from 600 to 640

    chmod 640 *.dbf

    I put the tablespace offline. is that enough?, or should i make the datafiles offline withi

    alter database datafile 'filename' offline;

    I had a fight with my manager. He asked me to put the datafiles offline using alter database.     But Just i put the tablespace offline and did that. Just want to make sure what is     the right way (precautiion to be taken) for this task ?

    Thanks in advance,
    Raj

    Do You Yahoo!?
    Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around     http://mail.yahoo.com

This electronic message transmission is a PRIVATE communication which contains information which may be confidential or privileged. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. Please notify the sender of the delivery error by replying to this message, or notify us by telephone (877-633-2436, ext. 0), and then delete it from your system.