Re: datafile permissions

From: Sinardy <all_about_oracle_at_hotpop.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 12:31:11 +0800

If someone is writing to the file then you revoke the access using OS command which is it can be done with Unix I believe your manager forsee this will corrupt the datafile.

Anyway, if I am asked to perform such harderning change, I will request for down time. For may be 1 hour, stop applications, shutdown, chmod, startup, switch log file, test, star application. not only datafile offline.

PS: I know that 640 should be ok but chmod during online is quite a risky task.

Regards,
Sinardy

  Hi All,

  Sun OS 2.9
  oracle 9i

  In what state the datafiles should be when i want to change the OS file permissions   from 600 to 640

  chmod 640 *.dbf

  I put the tablespace offline. is that enough?, or should i make the datafiles offline withi

  alter database datafile 'filename' offline;

  I had a fight with my manager. He asked me to put the datafiles offline using alter database.   But Just i put the tablespace offline and did that. Just want to make sure what is   the right way (precautiion to be taken) for this task ?

  Thanks in advance,
  Raj

  Do You Yahoo!?
  Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around   http://mail.yahoo.com