Re: Temp tbs with no temp file

From: Kirtikumar Deshpande <kedeshpande_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 06:00:12 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Sinardy,

> Do you guys write script to check the existing of the tempfile?

No, we don't. But when we clone/restore databases we review the controlfile creation/tempfiles existence a bit more closely :) Our scripts for such activities do the actual work.

> I think I need to add "ADD TEMPFILE" in my startup script.

Not required.
Just make sure that the temp files exist when cloning/restoring the databases. The trace file created by 'alter database backup controlfile to trace' command has the required syntax to add tempfiles when you recreate the controlfile.

HTH,

> Hi Kirti,
>
> Thanks for the explaination
>
> In addition I also notice that the alert log contain this message

> WARNING: The following temporary tablespaces contain no files.
> This condition can occur when a backup controlfile has
> been restored. It may be necessary to add files to these
> tablespaces. That can be done using the SQL statement:
>
> ALTER TABLESPACE <tablespace_name> ADD TEMPFILE
>
> Alternatively, if these temporary tablespaces are no longer
> needed, then they can be dropped.
> Empty temporary tablespace: TEMP
>
> Do you guys write script to check the existing of the tempfile? I think I
> need to add "ADD TEMPFILE" in my startup script.
>

> Regards,
> Sinardy

<snip>

Discover Yahoo!