Help Setting up Pro*Cobol on Linux

From: Chris Hoover <revoohc_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 13:25:31 -0400

Hello,

I need some help getting the Pro*Cobol pre-compiler setup and properly running on Linux. I am investigating porting our PostgreSQL DB to Oracle, and need to be able to compile the Cobol application to run against Oracle. I have installed the linux client and had it install the programmer package, so I have Pro*Cobol installed on our test box.

I have looked for documentation, but there does not seem to be any unix/linux specific documentation out there. Our Cobol vendor has stated that we must precompile on linux since our application is hosted on linux servers. Is this true? It would seem that the Oracle precompiler should not care what platform you are precompiling on.

Anyway, I'm a DBA and not a Cobol programmer, so I am in strange waters. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris