Re: Temp tbs with no temp file

From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 13:40:59 +0200

Sinardy,

When a datafile gets corrupted, you will have to restore/recover it. It should be possible at some point in time not to have the datafile for the tablespace during this operation. The concept is how it works. At some point in time, during the construction of the operational environment, this might not b ethe actual situation. That's why enforcing the concept is not useful.

Think of the creation of a tablespace: The tablespace needs to be entered in the DD, as well the datafile(s) description. The datafiles need to be created as well. This is not really a 'transaction', there is no redo for the work that the OS does on the filesystem.

Tempfiles will not be backed up, they are temporary. So, you can end up with a database without temp files, e.g. after a restore or the creation of a standby database.

HTH   Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===