RE: Unindexed FK Cause Deadlock or Only Share Lock?

From: <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:59:13 -0700

Ethan, I don't think the cardinality makes any difference (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong). When you update/delete from the parent table of a FK relationship with no index on the FK in the child table, the *entire* child table is locked. Also, in your example, the index with 2 distinct values could prove to be very useful if they are unevenly distributed, for example if you have 10 "N"s and 1000000 "Y"s, the index would be very efficient for finding the "N"s.

Regards,
Brandon