Re: Moving data to tablespace with new name

From: Deepak Sharma <sharmakdeep_oracle_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:36:11 -0700 (PDT)

A few more considerations:

  1. The 2 databases need to have same character-set, block size. We once ran into issue regd. character-set so had to use an interim (dummy) database, where we: (a). exported from Database A to Dummy (with character set X). (b) Change the char set of Dummy to Database B and export again. (c) Import Dummy's export into Database B. All of the above steps are quick. It's only copying the data, that's time consuming.
  2. If the database versions are different, then you need to account for that when taking exports (I don't remember off-hand, but you may need to use export utility of higher version?)

Thanks,
Deepak

> You forgot to mention that transportable tablespace
> require two things:
> 1) The tablespaces needs to be a self sustaining
> set.
> 2) They need to be in read only when you copy them.
>
> Dex did not mention that his data copy can
> accommodate these requirements.
>
> Adar Yechiel
> Rechovot, Israel
>

> zhu chao wrote:
>
> >The easiest way would use transportable
> tableespace. You export your
> >tablespace with transportable tablespace, edit the
> dumpfile header,
> >change tablespace name , and import it into new
> database.
> >
> >THis takes least down time
> >

> >On 6/30/05, J. Dex <cemail_219_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >>We want to move application data from one database
> to another. However, in
> >>the new database we want to change the tablespace
> names so that they follow
> >>a new naming convention. What is the
> easiest/most efficient way of doing
> >>this?