Re: Online "tablespace" reorg ?

From: <rjsearle_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 10:37:27 +1000

The closest we've come to here (8.1.7, Solaris (no partitioning) is to use Materialized Views (MVs). This method effectively allows a table to be rebuilt, reclaim unused space (left over from archiving) There is minimal downtime while the tables are renamed and grants established. We use this method repeatedly and have reclaimed over 100G os valuable space in an DSS env and halved table scan times.
 We got the idea from askTom.
 If you do this for each table in the tablespace, you will achieve a rebuild. This method is time consuming however it is better than nothing as the tables remain online and the indexes remain valid for the duration of the rebuild. You will need sufficient additional disk space to maintain a duplicate of the table and the indexes. Once a new version has been built then the old version can be dropped
 HTH
Russell