drop user fails due to REVOKE?

From: Paul Baumgartel <paul.baumgartel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 12:22:53 -0400

Hi all. I'm noticing some behavior in 10.1.0.4 that seems odd.

I have a user A who has been directly granted EXECUTE on DBMS_LOCK and UTL_TCP.

Attempts to DROP USER A CASCADE frequently succeed in dropping all of the user's objects, but fail (after the default 5-minute timeout period) to drop the user itself, reporting "timeout waiting to lock object SYS.DBMS_LOCK" (or SYS.UTL_TCP).

Now, I understand that grants and revokes must lock the object, and will time out in this manner if the object is in use by another session. I don't recall seeing this, though, in previous versions. I wonder if there's an explicit REVOKE on the DROP USER, or if it's just the recursive SQL to do the revoke. Does any of this ring a bell, i.e., is this the expected behavior even pre-10g? Is there a workaround?

Thanks,

--

Paul Baumgartel
paul.baumgartel_at_aya.yale.edu