RE: QUERY PERFORMANCE ISSUES AFTER DATABASE UPGRADE FROM 8174 TO 10.1.0.3

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 08:44:07 -0700

Hi Deepender,

I would recommend creating explain plans for the query in 8i and again in 10g and then compare to two to see what has changed. Then maybe you can use hints, stored outlines, column stats (histograms), and/or some more specific init parameters* in order to force the better execution plan. This would be the preferred approach, rather than restricting the entire CBO to it's old 8.1.7 behavior and disabling newer features instance-wide. Also, RULE is not the default for 8i - according to the 8i documentation, the default for OPTIMIZER_MODE is CHOOSE, which is defined as "CHOOSE specifies cost-based optimization for a SQL statement if the data dictionary contains statistics for at least one table accessed in the statement. If no such statistics are present, the optimizer uses the rule-based approach."

Regards,
Brandon