Re: ORA-600 Deadlock Issues

From: Egor Starostin <egorst_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 14:04:25 +0700

> > Yes. By default, for every deadlock Oracle generates trace file in
> > USER_DUMP_DEST (so, you don't need to explicitly 'alter session set
> > events...').
>
> The manual says so, but I did see versions of oracle which did not write down
> a trace file. If he is not getting a trace file, he may have one of those
> versions. Setting an event is the only way.
Agree in such case.

> > Also note that hanganalyze command will not be helpful in your
> > situation. Hanganalyze can only diagnose locks or internal Oracle
> > deadlocks.
>
> This is not true:

Are you sure that your first session doesn't receive ORA-60? Probably, you just don't look in first session output. I reproduced you case and ORA-60 was generated (which is expected).

Note that hanganalyze in your case shows lock, not a deadlock. Deadlocks are printed in 'Cycles' section of hanganalyze trace file. Sessions from 'Open Cahins' section are just locks.

I know. I use hanganalyze event from time to time. Actually I just wrote script (http://oracledba.ru/hanganalyze/hanganalyze.py) which generates hanganalyze event and parses generated trace file.

--
Egor
http://www.oracledba.ru/orasrp/