Re: ORA-600 Deadlock Issues

From: Egor Starostin <egorst_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 11:34:02 +0700

> I have code that consistently bombs due to ORA-600 - Deadlock Detected.
> The code base is very complex, and a bunch of tables get updated via
> direct updates/triggers etc., so debugging at the app level is proving
> nightmarish.
>
> Is there any way I can get a hint (from alert.log or elsewhere) where
> the contention is?

Yes. By default, for every deadlock Oracle generates trace file in USER_DUMP_DEST (so, you don't need to explicitly 'alter session set events...').
You can find info about how to read deadlock graph in Metalink Note:62365.1

Also note that hanganalyze command will not be helpful in your situation. Hanganalyze can only diagnose locks or internal Oracle deadlocks. Usual application deadlocks Oracle succesfully reveals by itself.

--
Egor
http://www.oracledba.ru/orasrp/