Did column-level grants go away?

From: Bellows, Bambi <bbellows_at_usg.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:24:51 -0500

Friends --

You know, it's not something that comes up everyday, but, back in v5, you used to be able to do column level grants... that is to say:

grant select on tabl(col1, col3, col5) to userX;

I seem to recall it being there in v6 too.

And the band played on, and time passed, and now here we are in v9.2.0.5, and a user sent me an email saying "how do I do column level grants?". Well, having an extraordinary memory, I reply, "why, that's easy, just do a grant on tab1(col1, col3, col5) to userX;", but, before I send that email, I decide to test my extraordinary memory and just try it. And a good thing, too, because it didn't work. So, I decide to check syntax in the online documentation, and it's not there. Then, being a computer professional, I go to google, and I enter "column level grants", and of course, Burleson's site comes up with a script to recreate them (pay $39.95!) and a whole bunch of sites that say, basically, that just isn't possible.

So, is it possible or not, or did the syntax just change, and if it's gone, whehn did it happen and why in the world did Oracle think that was a good idea?

Thanks all!
Bambi.