Re: Q: does DirectIO on windows is supported on file systems ?

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 08:54:21 +0100

On 6/23/05, Sunil Bhola <oraclebhola_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Paul,
> Thanks for correcting me. But I forget to speicify that the Professional
> Windows with NTFS File System dont have file system buffer cache. Correct me
> if I am wrong.
> Regards,

 You're wrong! Check out task manager and the performance tab, that figure for System Cache is the filesystem cache that is currently allocated. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wmisdk/wmi/win32_perfformatteddata_perfos_cache.aspfor the management instrumentation details and a description of what the 'System Cache' really is.
 I'm not quite sure what Paul means about turning off the filesystem cache for Oracle systems, I guess you'd gain a little more RAM to devote to Oracle, but Oracle on Win32 performs DirectIO anyway.  --
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA