Re: Identifying source of iowait - is it the DB or the raid array

From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 16:17:18 -0500

Dave

This is a less than expert opinion. My guess is that you won't have an easy time finding the answer. My guess is that certain information can only be found from the I/O subsystem, like your question whether it is the raid array cache. So you'll want to find the available information resources for the I/O system, and track them. But then some information in Oracle can provide more context to the specific situation, like your question like whether there are a lot of table scans being perfomed.

   Bottom line, I think you're going to have to act like a detective, gather clues everywhere, and assemble them to draw a conclusion. And since you won't know beforehand when an event will occur, you've got to gather information continually, then try to decipher the events that led to the event.

Dennis Williams