RE: Q: Filesystem choice for log_archive_dest

From: Kevin Closson <kevinc_at_polyserve.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 12:29:53 -0700

 >phone company with all those SMS services). So now I'm trying
>to find the technical explanation of why one could need a
>direct IO filesystem for the archived log files.

life is an unending series of choices. If you want to preserve your memory, you don't want to spool through the buffered path. If you cannot configure enough logs and fast enough disk to meet the requirement in the direct path, you have to go buffered. No cut and dried answer, but those are the ingredients to consider.

>So, we ran another test today with another query, the results:
>spooling on the direct IO filesystem: 30min, on the local
>filesystem: 49s.

there should be no mystery that writing to memory is orders of magnitude faster than disk.