Re: IO performance question

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_allegientsystems.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:55:28 -0400

david hill wrote:

>Hi guys,
>
>I'm trying to investigate performance of one our db's where db file
>sequential read are 90% of waits

This means that your application is reading blocks from indexes. Is performance of the
application unaccpetable? If so, you should set the event 10046, level 8 in the session
executing the application and see what took the longest (tkprof with sort=exeela will give you that)
and tune that particular statement.

Wow! RAID-5. You should join the battle against any raid five (http://www.baarf.com). You should also
read few articles from www.hotsos.com

>So with a few test's here what I came up with
>I can do a full table scan I can read 225,525 disk reads in 40 seconds

Full table scans don't wait for db file sequential reads. They wait for db file scattered reads. In this case
you may want to not use index.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA