Re: Q: Filesystem choice for log_archive_dest

From: John Smiley <jrsmiley_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:19:59 -0600

I don't think buffered I/O is going to help you. For any files associated with the database, including archived redo logs, you want the data written to the disk (physically or in a protected cache) when the OS tells Oracle that the I/O write request is complete. Even with a buffered file system, Oracle will buffer the reads, but "write through" the buffer for writes to make sure the data is really on disk.
 Find out what type of disks the archivelog dest file system is built on. Then work with your SA or storage engineer to provide you with dedicated disks, add spindles, or move to a RAID implemention that handles writes more efficiently (say RAID 5 -> RAID 1+0).
 John Smiley
Technical Management Consultant
TUSC, Inc.