Re: RBS problem...

From: Sunil Bhola <oraclebhola_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 06:37:30 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Onkar,

As you are saying that you specified a particular RBS for your transaction and the rollback segment is dropped, so in this case System rollback segment will not use. System rollback segment used only for the transaction that use system tablespace. Or if there are some transaction in the tablespace ( non-system) and you take the tablespace offline, then system rollback segment will use to store the information, so that recovery can be taken by.

So as your tranaction use the rollback segment and the rollback segment is dropped so in this case, oracle will use another avaiable rollback semgnet. You can view this segment by using V$rollback, V$transaction.

QUERIES in Oracle, Feel free to Join:

Regards,

Sunil Bhola

Oracle_Expert, Moderator

Onkar N Tiwary <onkarnath.tiwary_at_gmail.com> wrote: hi all,

Thanx for the reply and help. But my question is I have a script wherein I am specifying a particular RBS to be used and before the execution of the script the RBS is dropped. No doubt I will get the error saying that the specified rollback segment does not exist( which I received this morning) and the rest of the command were executed successfully. Which RBS was used for the transaction(was it SYSTEM) how to check this. My colleague says it wont use SYSTEM in any condition but other RBS will be used. Is it true? Why SYSTEM rbs can not be used in any situation if he is right. and in what conditions this SYSTEM rbs is used?

On 6/23/05, Sunil Bhola <oraclebhola_at_yahoo.com> wrote: Hi Onkar,

When you assigned a particular rollback segment to the transaction which is actually deleted, Oracle will use the default rollback segment.

To assign a rollback segment to a particular transation use either:-

DBMS_TRANSACTION.USE_ROLLBACK_SEGMENT(NAME)   OR
DBMS_STANDARD.SET_ROLL_SEGS(NAME)   Regards,
Sunil Bhola

Onkar N Tiwary <onkarnath.tiwary_at_gmail.com> wrote: hi all,

What will happen if i have assigned a particular rollback segment to a transactio but actually the RBS has been deleted????

--

Thanks & Regards,
T. Onkar Nath

       to_onkar_at_yahoo.com