RE: Metalink forums - effects of the outsourcing

From: William B Ferguson <wbfergus_at_usgs.gov>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 07:14:52 -0600

Actually, for me, I've pretty much given up on the forums as well. When I do have an urgent problem, then I'll file a TAR, though I really hate to bog down the system with TAR's. As you can tell from my sig line, I'm with USGS, and we have about 120 or so people on the CSI, with all different kinds of skills sets, and none of us (actually it's very few of us), know about each other, let alone work together.

I'm one of the two admin's for our CSI, and I see all of the stuff people submit a TAR for, and a LOT of it is pretty silly stuff. It's kind of interesting in that I can browse the TAR list and get a general idea of how knowledgeable various people are in our organization.

Anyway, I remember the 'good ole days' of tech support, and I could always pick up the phone and call Oracle tech support. I'd give them my CSI, describe my problem, version, etc., and they'd give me a ticket number. About 4-5 hours later, I'd get a call from the tech person, and then I'd have to try and figure out what they were saying, since even way back then (about '92 or so), most of the techies were from India and had the English problem.

I do have to admit that knew what they were doing, but understanding them was more difficult than fixing the problem. Most of the time I told them just to send me an email, so I could understand them easier. I think many other people must have done the same, which eventually led to MetaLink.

Just my opinion.

Bill Ferguson
U.S. Geological Survey - Minerals Information Team PO Box 25046, MS-750
Denver, Colorado 80225
Voice (303)236-8747 ext. 321 Fax (303)236-4208