Re: Metalink forums - effects of the outsourcing

From: Ryan <ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 16:37:27 -0400

I stopped using the forums 2-3 years ago. Got tired of 'it slipped' as an explanation for not responding. I found that the public forums or asktom are better than metalink.

As far as TARs go. I find that when I first post a TAR, I get a generic response, but when I respond and escalate, I get good service. I often get phone calls to followup. Might be because I have been doing very large projects for a while now. Maybe we get better service when your company spends more money?

Here is the worst experience I had. We were using transportable tablespaces in 8i and then last year for a new client we upgrade to 9i with RAC(at client request). Well apparently there was a bug in 9.2 with transportable tablespaces and RAC because we got ORA-600 errors and we could not publish data. This was for a fortune 500 company that was being deployed to all 30,000 of its employees.

I opened a TAR. This was April 2004? or so. They told me I had to wait for 9.2.0.6 that was due out in September. I had to escalate and get our VP and the client VP involved to get a patch written. Took a month to get it done and they refused to give me a status report. Would have cost the client millions of dollars if we had to wait... ----- Original Message -----
From: "Weiss, Rick" <rweiss_at_mt.gov>
To: "Oracle-L (E-mail)" <Oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 4:12 PM
Subject: RE: Metalink forums - effects of the outsourcing