Re: OEM 10g Greed Control

From: Robyn <robyn.sands_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 12:55:09 -0400

On 6/22/05, Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_quadtechworld.com> wrote:

> Anyone else having major stability issues with 10.1.0.3 <http://10.1.0.3>Grid Control and
> the Agents? Here's a brief list of issues that I've encountered since
> the obnoxious installation has been completed:

Yes! I'm working on getting a test Grid environment going and am seeing almost all of the same issues; some of which I find more annoying than others, but they are definitely there.

  1. On our only production 10g server ...

Haven't added the 10g database yet but what really got me was that the 10g database was built and patched to be the OEM repository but I couldn't use it. 10g grid control would only install into a 9.0.1.5 <http://9.0.1.5>database, and we'd already patched beyond that level everywhere else.

2) The RefreshFromMetalink job doesn't work ...

Hasn't worked for me yet either, but I don't have the box talking outside the firewall right now. Thanks for the heads up, I won't spend any time on the firewall request until I know it will work.

4) The 10.1.0.4 <http://10.1.0.4> (.1) patch says to make sure to upgrade
> all Agents to
> 10.1.0.4 <http://10.1.0.4>, but it's not available for HPUX. It also
> recommends using the
> EM Patch Manager to deploy. See item #2 for why this won't work.

Everything I'm installing is on HP-UX and every bug I've hit references 10.1.0.4 <http://10.1.0.4> but as you mentioned, I can't get it yet. Need it bad - at least I hope I do. If it doesn't fix these issues, this effort will have to postponed.

5) The EMS, Console, and Agents all generate several Java and/or Oracle
> errors daily

yep ... Still playing with test servers, so I don't get the notifications, but I've seen the steady stream of errors. Plus the over sized mount point I got for the grid and/or the agents keep filling up with errors. Install specs were way off for space needs.

6) Once a target is deleted

Dynamic discovery worked perfectly on one server. All the others (4 thus far) have had to be manually added. Not bad in testing, but in a large organization, this would take forever. One of them won't talk back to the management db at all; everything on that server stays pending forever. (planning on trying to fix that one when I finish this note.)

8) The Agent's processes regularly cause forty SYS/PUBLIC objects to
> become invalid, flagging a policy violation in EM. The workaround is to
> drop that policy.

Seen this one too. I recompiled the procedures with utlrp.sql and thus far, the procedures stayed valid, but it's only been 24 hours ...

9) Most of these features do not appear to be documented anywhere.

agree - I've been guessing and experimenting, which has been a nice diversion from the daily grind, but real work is calling and I can't keep this up much longer.

  1. What "Enterprise" deems this as acceptable?

The bosses like the interface, but I doubt it will go anywhere if 10.1.0.4<http://10.1.0.4>doesn't stabilize things.

I liked using EM to get an intro to some of the new 10g features (AWR,
> ADDM, etc.), but I'm spending way too much time debugging EM than being
> productive.

Already agreed with this one, but it's worth emphasizing. This takes A LOT of troubleshooting, reading and experimenting.

Rich

Couldn't agree with your vent more. The tool has a lot of promise, but it's really quirky. Never much liked using the early EM tool set; it was usually easier and faster to go command line, but with a real centralized console that could be accessed through the web, this COULD be a great way to go once things settle down a bit that is.

Robyn