Re: 64 node Oracle RAC Cluster (The reality of...)

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 03:52:48 +0000

On 06/21/2005 09:48:53 PM, Pete Sharman wrote:
> Are you specifically talking about OCFS or the CFS that is provided by the OS? You know a lot more
> about the OS level stuff than I do (not that it would be hard to do that!) I'm not sure if these are
> generic OS concerns you have or ones specifically aimed at OCFS (which is another thing I don't know
> much about!)

Actually, I was talking about GFS, by Red Hat. For OCFS, I read not to use it for ORACLE_HOME, but when I tried with GFS, it was extremely slow. I was impressed with the GFS until I tried using it for ORACLE_HOME. Speaking of the operating systems, do you know whether RAC is supported on Solaris/x86? I must say that Solaris is much, much, much more mature OS then Linux. My company has a bunch of Dell boxes running RH EL 3.0 and I am not at all satisfied with the performance and reliability. It seems that popularity of an OS grows proportionally with its crappiness.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA