Re: a really non-technical question, help?

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 16:45:25 -0700

Please forgive a "me-too" post, but as one who has tried on several occasions to correct this exact same mis-understanding on c.d.o.s, I would like to confirm everything that Carel-Jan Engel wrote (partly because he beat me to it!)

The document referenced

http://www.oracle.com/corporate/pricing/sig.pdf

is an interesting one I had never looked at before. An alternate document with the same wording is at

http://www.oracle.com/corporate/pricing/databaselicensing.pdf

The last time this topic came up on c.d.o.s., someone from Oracle kind of, somewhat, acknowledged that the licensing language is confusing.

Read the OP's question -- it specifically mentions VCS. I believe the problem is that many people have not had the experience of running Oracle under a Veritas Cluster Server (VCS) or HP-UX Service Guard type of cluster, so when they read Oracle's terminology, it doesn't completely register -- they see "standby" and they (incorrectly) think "Data Guard".

In fact, under VCS or Service Guard, there really isn't such a thing as a "primary" node and a "standby/failover" node -- any service/group can normally run on any node, although there is often a default node to start-up on. An administrative choice at a given site may be to always run all services/groups on a particular node, but it is not in any way the same thing as a "primary" and "standby" in the database sense, nor is it inherent in the VCS or HP/UX Service Guard model.

--
Mark Bole
http://www.bincomputing.com

[...] -- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l