Re: a really non-technical question, help?

From: Mark Bole <>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 16:45:25 -0700

Please forgive a "me-too" post, but as one who has tried on several occasions to correct this exact same mis-understanding on c.d.o.s, I would like to confirm everything that Carel-Jan Engel wrote (partly because he beat me to it!)

The document referenced

is an interesting one I had never looked at before. An alternate document with the same wording is at

The last time this topic came up on c.d.o.s., someone from Oracle kind of, somewhat, acknowledged that the licensing language is confusing.

Read the OP's question -- it specifically mentions VCS. I believe the problem is that many people have not had the experience of running Oracle under a Veritas Cluster Server (VCS) or HP-UX Service Guard type of cluster, so when they read Oracle's terminology, it doesn't completely register -- they see "standby" and they (incorrectly) think "Data Guard".

In fact, under VCS or Service Guard, there really isn't such a thing as a "primary" node and a "standby/failover" node -- any service/group can normally run on any node, although there is often a default node to start-up on. An administrative choice at a given site may be to always run all services/groups on a particular node, but it is not in any way the same thing as a "primary" and "standby" in the database sense, nor is it inherent in the VCS or HP/UX Service Guard model.

Mark Bole

Carel-Jan Engel wrote:

> Hi Kevin, and all other posters of this thread,
> There are a lot of rumours around this, as you can see: you get many
> different answers.
> First of all, let's fix the confusion about cluster based and
> replication/recovery based 'standby systems'. Data Guard and
> active/passive standby (Poor Mens Rac) are different items.
[...] --