Re: RAC cold backup

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 13:32:28 +0000

On 06/21/2005 09:01:10 AM, Steiner, Randy wrote:
> Is anyone doing a cold backup on a grid?

Why would I need to do cold backup in the 1st place? What would be an advantage of having one? RAC is an availability solution, so why would I want to shut it down? The only reason for shutting RAC down is an upgrade.

> I have a data warehouse with no archive logs, so an online backup is
> out.

RAC with na archive logs? Why would need that in the 1st place? A large NUMA box like HP Superdome would probably be much faster then RAC, especially for DW purposes.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA