RE: backups to disk

From: Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR) <Thomas.Mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 14:54:03 -0400

Paula,

I wrote korn scripts to perform rman backups to disk followed by gzip'ing the resulting file. We keep about one weeks worth of backups on disk (3 backups). The directory is backed to tape nightly. I have another script that simply removes files from this directory (things more than 9 days old).

If you need a file from tape, the sysadmins will need to get it for you.

The bad news is that you need about 2.5 times of disk space for this type of setup. But Ruth is correct. The Rman backups run in about 15 minutes.

Tom