Re: Track Audit Parameter Changes

From: Barbara Baker <barb.baker_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 11:36:32 -0600

Version?
Starting in version 9, setting audit_sys_operations to true will output the info to the audit_dest directory for SYS. (Hopefully user SYS is not being used unless critical. The SYS user does not seem to show up in the audit trail at all, so audit_sys_operations is the only way I know to capture this.)

For users other than sys . . .

Pete Finnigan's "Oracle Security Step-by-Step" says

   protect the audit trail with AUDIT ALL ON SYS$AUD$ BY ACCESS;

I issued this AUDIT ALL audit command in my 9.2.0.4 database, and as user BARB (who was granted dba role) I tried

   selecting from the audit trail
   changing an audit parameter

The select from this user shows up in the audit trail. The change does not. I find this very odd. I tried "audit trigger", and "audit delete on schema.table" as user BARB. I would assume that changing the audit parameter would be an update to the AUD$ table. But the audit trail does not show this update.

Anyone know why not??

OWNER OBJECT_NAM OBJECT ALT AUD COM DEL GRA IND INS LOC REN SEL UPD REF EXE

---------- ---------- ------ --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
SYS        AUD$       TABLE  S/A A/A A/A A/A A/A A/A A/A A/A A/A A/A S/A -/- -/-

** Audit Records from last 24 hours **

        AACDGIILRSURE
                                  Action              Obj       Return
luoernnoeepex
USERID   TIMEST       Name                Name     Code tdmladscnldfe
BARB     17-Jun 11:18 SELECT              AUD$        0
BARB     17-Jun 11:18 SELECT              AUD$        0