Invoking Export as SYSDBA

From: Paul Vincent <Paul.Vincent_at_uce.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 08:11:19 +0100

Firstly, many thanks to everyone who gave me advice about truncating event logs and listener logs - much appreciated.

I've been experimenting with the various options of Oracle Import and Export (with Oracle 8i and 9i), and have come across a strange problem:

The syntax of imp and exp specifies that you can invoke them as SYSDBA by starting the statement thus:

exp username/password AS SYSDBA ...

but when I try this out on a Solaris system I get:

LRM-00108: invalid positional parameter value 'as'

Then I noticed a note in the documentation for Export, saying that because the string "AS SYSDBA" contains a blank, most operating systems require the entire string 'username/password AS SYDBA' be placed in quotation marks or marked as a literal by some method. It also says the quotation marks may need to be preceded by an escape character. So I tried:

exp "username/password AS SYSDBA" ...

and still got the LRM-00108 message as before. Now, I've tried looking in the documentation for anything about escape characters, but can find nothing.=20

Can anyone using Oracle under Solaris tell me where I'm going wrong, please?

And, yes, I know generally there's no need to ever use the "as sysdba" option for import/export, but I'm just experimenting, and this is a mystery I'd like to clear up.

Thanks,

Paul Vincent
DBA
UCE Birmingham