Re: Trigger tables

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 04:07:52 +0000

On 06/15/2005 09:55:21 PM, Kean Jacinta wrote:
> Hi,

>=20

> I got stuck with a problem here. I am trying to create
> a generic trigger.Is there way to find out the
> tablename of the trigger.=20

Have you ever considered distinct possibility that if something is extremel= y hard=20
to do, it is actually not meant to be done? Dodge Viper SRT probably can be used to harvest corn from a field, but I am quite certain that it was=20 meant to increase the amount of money collected by the state troopers in th= e 55MPH
zones on the US highways and expressways. It is also very hard to process r= eal time
input with Oracle RDBMS and I am quite sure that one of these days we'll se= e a post
asking for help with using PL/SQL to process analog input in real time. Also, triggers are not generic. They are table specific. Triggers are meant=  to enforce
business rules. There are no generic business rules apart from "thou shalt = not steal".
The "thou shalt not kill" rule doesn't apply if you work for the army or de= fense contractor.
Without coveting thy neighbor's wife (or husband), the whole fashion indust= ry would go broke=20
in a week, as well as marketing, plastic surgery, gyms and diet drugs indus= try. Those are=20
among the most generic business rules imaginable and even they are hard to = enforce by triggers=20
or otherwise. This was a very long explanation why I do not intend to follo= w this thread any
more. Generic trigger! Now, I've heard everything!

--=20
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA