Re: Specifying default tablespaces for indexes

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_allegientsystems.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 12:36:54 -0400

rjamya wrote:

> since the new (it isn't really new but still) wisdom says "it is not
> required to separate tables and indexes in different tablespaces",
> this whole issue becomes a moot point. I don't see any logic in being
> able to specify default index tablespace.
>
> if so then can I specify default tablespace for lobs? iots? o.h and I
> need separate tablespaces for pks and fks as well.
>
> Raj

Actually, it is a good thing to separate tables and indexes. For instance, if you want to transfer data using transportable tablespaces, you generally do not want to transfer anything that you don't have to. I prefer transporting just data and then rebuild indexes on the target. I believe that keeping separate things separately is a good administrative practice. Database administrators, like the two of us, are still administrators. BTW, I am very glad to have finally met you.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA