RE: databases per dba

From: Spears, Brian <BSpears_at_Limitedbrands.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 17:24:31 -0400

That's real nice...dba feet up..where the H*ll are those guys... We have DB's...in the hundreds... And just tack on that simple support stuff and then get us to do the work DBA's implementing new systems. Never...never,,never idle. We have gotten problem pages down to a few a month, but 3 years ago the dba pager was always going off. Because our systems are so sensitive... We have all kinds of change control, and procedures to follow to make sure things are stable and go in stable. Heavy pressure from big projects often override the procedure then we just work by the seat of our pants.
If you do things properly...most times I could see several hundred databases to be supported by a single person...but that's the DB's that have been tuned and stablized. Also it depends how well setup your infrastructure is. We built a nice push button backup recovery system that never has a backup fail or issues with restore. Controlling SLA expectionations is also an important part of maintaining systems. Of course, you may need extra support during various times like mass upgrades etc. brian

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Michael McMullen Sent: Friday, June 10, 2005 7:57 AM
To: Oracle List

We have 17 and it's just me. I work in a large organization where capital expenditure is usually not a problem. Harder to hire a person than buy a new server. Hence there is usually one server per database. Apps that are stable and have no development, I might log into the database once every six months. So there is really only a few databases that take up all my time. It seems like the more development/ever changing volumes there is on a database, the more it takes up my time. A static database requires very little maintenance.