OT: VMWare Seminar

From: mhthomas <qnxodba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 13:35:40 -0400

Hi,

Just got back from the travelling VMWare seminar. It was great.

In my opinion, from what I saw at the seminar and reading the current Oracle support position, I expect Oracle to change and fully support and/or certify on at least one version of VMWare. I can remember Larry on stage saying he would not support LINUX, too. I might not have expected this before attending the seminar. Maybe Oracle is already working with VMWare to take advantage of virtualization, to expand Oracle's grid or whatever, and I'm not aware. Who knows?

For one example, Intel is building virtualization into a future CPU and is working with VMWare. I expect Oracle will want to run on these production servers when they start being deployed. VMWare mentioned the ESX client virtual machine gets a CPU by socket, rather than confusing variations with hyperthreading. Another example, running servers can be migrated and/or balanced to other hosts based on utilization. The comparisons of MS Virtual PC and VMWare were logically summarized by MS' desupport of Virtual PC. There was so much good information in the seminar its not possible to repeat everything.

As consolation prize, if you don't like the seminar, the free copy of Workstation is nice. I thought one free copy was good until I found out about the VMWare Technology Network for developer's and testers, including all their products for an annual fee. :-)

Regards,

Mike Thomas