Re: Database in depth, by C.J. Date

From: <ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 15:46:47 +0000

that is generic across all software disclipines. People over-engineer code and design to make it look nice, when your primary goal is to cost effectively satisfy the business requirement. I have seen people spend weeks working on trivial things to get it 'just right'. When it was good enough to start with. 'Good is the enemy of good enough'.

On the other hand, you have the people who just slap stuff together with no thought to maintenance or future development. I think you need to strike a balance. You need to think about the big picture, but still meet deadlines and get work done.

I have found that most people either over engineer and bicker about petty details or just slap stuff together.