Re: Crontab - HA

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 08:42:36 -0700

Perhaps best to use DBMS_SCHEDULER if you are on 10g.

A very good solution specifically for your situation (VCS) is here:

http://www.vxideas.org/cron-edit

This shell script is designed to be a resource in your VCS group. I used it for several years in a production cluster -- both a primary and a logical standby database, each with its own set of associated cron jobs, and this tool handled them both, whether running together on one node or separately on different nodes -- the correct cron jobs always ran exactly where they were supposed to, nowhere else. No need to clutter up your crontab entries themselves with some ugly if-then logic.

Unfortunately there was one small bug in the script, which is fixed by commenting out one line in the script as shown here. I sent the fix to the author but never got a response. :-(

add_entry() {
# this next line was a bug, un-doing what remove_entry did # cp $before $after

--
Mark Bole
http://www.bincomputing.com