Re: Adding a column to a replicated table

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 08:00:51 -0700

On 6/14/05, Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg> wrote:

> Even if you had created it with an .. AS SELECT * ..., that would not
> automatically re-read the new column as the "local" definition would
> have been instantiated when you created the Materialized View.
> In my opinion, to add a column, you'd have to DROP and CREATE the MV.
> {but I hope, for your sake, to be proven wrong}.
> Hemant

I *believe* but have not verified that if you created the MV with a prebuilt table, it would a matter of adding the column to the table and doing a complete refresh.

It might be necessary to drop/create the MV in this case, but it is a fast operation, and doesn't make it necessary to regrant permissions.

--
Jared Still