Re: Fwd: How to shutdown 9i?

From: <>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 06:14:32 -0400

if you can connect through sql plus as sysdba you should be able to do a shutdown immediate Also oracle does do instance recovery applying all of the online redo log information before it opens the database if the database does not open gracefully

Still get a good backup first making sure to archive your redo and backup your archives would ensure 0 data loss

Carel's questions about archives when a backup will be as well as questions of ensuring your application, batches and backups are not hitting the db at the same time ensures a fallback plan

From: <> To: <> CC: <> Sent: Mon Jun 13 19:49:54 2005
Subject: Re: Fwd: How to shutdown 9i?

Hi Chris,
Are backups scheduled? Will the server be booted before or after the backup? How much data-loss is allowed? Do you have all archives available on tape/another system? Just in case the reboot doesn't help and the server won't start nor allows 'shell' access after the init 0/init 6. You will probably get access to the disks after a while, but is that fast enough?

Best regards, Carel-Jan Engel

On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 01:21, Chris Hoover wrote:

> [...]

If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===

DBA!ert, Independent Oracle consultancy Kastanjelaan 61C
2743 BX Waddinxveen
The Netherlands
tel. +31 (0) 182 64 04 28
fax +31 (0) 182 64 04 29